Current Affrairs

Advertisement

Manchester attack: Fears over 'second bomb' after police find huge chemical explosive cache in Salman Abedi raid


The Manchester terrorist, Salman Abedi
The Manchester terrorist, Salman Abedi
The Manchester suicide bomber may have built a second device which is now in the hands of fellow jihadists, police fear.
Officers who raided the home of Salman Abedi discovered a working bomb factory with a huge stash of explosive chemicals and other components.
Security sources now believe that Abedi assembled the bomb himself after learning his trade in Libya.
But the amount of material in his home has led to fears that he could have built more than one device and and distributed them to other British-based extremists.
A security source told the Telegraph: "The worry is there was enough to build two or three bombs and we can't rule that out."
Abedi arrived back in Manchester from Libya on Thursday, travelling via Istanbul and Dusseldorf.
The following day he visited the Arndale shopping centre in Manchester, where he was caught on CCTV buying a Karrimor rucksack.
It is believed he then spent the weekend putting together the main components of the device, including the detonator.
On Monday he then travelled the three miles from his home in Elsmore Road in the Fallowfield district to a rented apartment in Granby Row on the edge of Manchester's Gay Village.
The building was raided by special forces at lunchtime on Wednesday and specialist forensics teams and bomb squad operatives were still at the building on Thursday.
The building in Manchester where Abedi rented his flat
The building in Manchester where Abedi rented his flat
Sources believe Abedi may have used the £75 a night apartment to put all the components of the device together, before heading off late on Monday evening to make his way to the Manchester Arena where he killed 22 people.
The use of two addresses to assemble the device was a tactic used by the 7/7 bombers who also spent months learning how to build a bomb at a training camp in Pakistan.
Former Metropolitan Police officer, David Videcette, who helped investigate the tube bombings said it was likely Abedi had spent many months abroad practising how to assemble a device before returning to the UK.
He said: "This is not something you can just put together by reading a book or watching a YouTube video. He will have spent time at a camp somewhere, possibly in Libya, being shown how to do it. "But once you have the skills and the materials, assembling the device itself can be done fairly quickly."

On Thursday night the search for his Islamist network was continuing with a total of eight people being questioned on suspicion of involvement in what officers described as "significant arrests".
However fears that a bombmaker was on the loose were played down. US media outlet reported security sources in America as saying that officers no longer believed that to be the case.
It appears officers now believe Abadi is the bombmaker and may have built more bombs which have yet to be discovered.
Such a belief is likely to have contributed to the increase in the terror threat level, which was lifted from severe to critical - meaning an attack is imminent - on Tuesday evening.
Ian Hopkins, the Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police said: "I want to reassure people that the arrests that we have made are significant, and initial searches of premises have revealed items that we believe are very important to the investigation."
He previously confirmed that his officers were hunting a "network" linked to Abedi.
Share on Google Plus

About sunarisetoday

Advertisement